iParaglide is hosting an HPAC Paragliding Instructor Certification (and re-certification) Seminar on the weekends of April 28, 29 & May 6, 2012. (Please note that any modules that cannot be completed due to poor weather/wind will be re-scheduled on following weekends.)
This is designed to be a comprehensive "hands on" paragliding instructor certification seminar. You will be working closely with real students to learn how to teach fundamentals to pilots in an efficient and effective manner: so that students will have a positive experience, and feel secure and empowered. You will learn how to mentor at each of the locations that are the three pillars of a successful paragliding curriculum: the classroom; the training hill; and the mountain. We will work to maximize learning opportunities, adapting to what the wind and weather provides.
Cost is $474 for initial certification or $237 for re-certification.
- Instructor Theory: "The Space" Lounge, (1238 Seymour @ Davie, Vancouver), Buzzer "#0122".
- Training Hill and/or Kiting Practicum: Diefenbaker Park (1st Avenue @ 56th St, Tsawwassen) and/or Vanier Park (1905 Ogden Ave, Vancouver)
- Mountain Flying Practicum: Mt. Woodside (2226 Lougheed Highway, Agassiz)
Requirements for Paragliding Instructor Rating
Please bring any items you already have. Others you can acquire at a later date.
- Log book - photocopy of last page with total paragliding flights and air hours
- HPAC Intermediate Paragliding Rating: 25 hours, 150 flights, 10 sites
- HPAC paragliding membership card
- Transport Canada HAGAR Exam Results Photocopy
- Standard First Aid Certificate
- Assist a Paragliding Instructor 25 hours
- Paragliding Instructor Certification Seminar 24 hours
- Paragliding Reserve Seminar: HPAC recommended, iParaglide required
- Paragliding SIV Simulation of Flight Incidents Seminar: iParaglide required
April 28, 2012 (weather pending, we will adapt course modules to conditions)
06:00-07:00: Course Overview & Training Hill Mentoring (Deifenbaker Park)
07:00-11:00: Paragliding Training Hill Practicum (Deifenbaker Park)
12:00-13:30: Paragliding Mentoring Theory (iParaglide)
13:45-15:15: Paragliding Operations Theory (iParaglide)
15:30-17:00: Paragliding Content Theory (iParaglide)
April 29, 2012 (weather pending, we will adapt course modules to conditions)
07:00-08:00: The LZ Walkover Pre-flight Briefing (Riverside)
08:00-09:00: LZ walkover with students Practicum (Riverside)
09:00-12:00: Landing Guidance of Students Practicum (Riveside)
13:00-14:30: Paragliding Practicum Lecture Presentations (TBA)
15:00-17:00: Kiting Practicum with Students (Rosedale)
May 6, 2012 (weather pending, we will adapt course modules to conditions)
08:00-09:00: The Launch Pre-flight Briefing (Woodside)
09:00-12:00: Launch Guidance of Students Practicum (Woodside)
13:00-14:00: Instructor Seminar Synthesis: Mentoring, Content, Operations (TBA)