iP1 - Student Paragliding Pilot - $897
If you already know that you want something more than a single flight "teaser", but are uncertain whether or not you will make a full commitment to the sport, consider our iP1 Student Pilot Paragliding Program comprised of 4 high mountain flights during 20 hours (minimum) of intensive training. This is a two weekend experience.
At iParaglide we have trained over 1000 students in first flight paragliding courses over our 17 years of operation and take pride in keeping our pilots safe. This, among other core values, is what distinguishes us from other schools.
Safety is at the heart of everything we do and it is something that is created, not chanced upon. We achieve safety through persistence to some founding principles and a carefully selected and controlled environment.
We also deliver efficient and effective paragliding programs, with our iP1 Student course content designed to significantly exceed both the HPAC P1 and USHPA P1 standards, while done in an optimal progression, thus simultaneously achieving enhanced performance and reduced learning time frames.
The purpose of the iP1 Student Pilot course is to provide a thorough introduction to the sport of paragliding through sufficient flights to develop a flying awareness, while under strict supervision from two instructors. On successful completion, the student will be able to perform a standard aircraft approach landing without landing instructor input and will have enough knowledge and experience to make a good decision if they wish to continue with full iP2 Novice Pilot paragliding certification.
Two theory sessions will cover:
- Sport overview
- Basic paragliding aerodynamics and how to launch, fly and land a paraglider
- Selecting suitable paragliding weather, terrain and equipment
A written exam will consolidate the learning process and test your knowledge of student theory. The exam requires an 80% pass mark.
Paragliding Slope Soaring
Two slope soaring sessions:
- Forward launch technique
- Reverse launch technique and further practice on forward launch
Slope Soaring will be done on grass training hills with mild slopes where you begin to apply real skills. You will learn to launch, fly and steer the glider to a gentle landing.
You will practice:
- Laying out the paraglider and sorting the lines in preparation for take off;
- working with the wind to inflate and bring the paraglider overhead;
- controlling and kiting the paraglider;
- accelerating and running with the paraglider to get airborne;
- turning and controlling the paraglider in flight;
- and flaring the paraglider to come in for a soft controlled landing.
We start with launching off small slopes and only skimming a few feet above the ground, to progressively getting higher. You will be changed forever by these first few moments of flight in all their glory.
Paragliding Mountain Flights
When you have successfully completed theory and slope soaring with a required 80% pass mark, we take you for your first solo flights off a mountain. Note that for your safety, some students may have to repeat course modules at a surcharge.
Your preflight briefing will go over a detailed flight plan including "mission" objectives. Four high mountain flights will be carefully supervised by flight-command instructors via radio. An instructor on the mountain will help you set up, and launch.
While free from the ground up in the air, you will experience true free-flight, while initiating some in-flight practice maneuvers. No windscreen will separate you from total immersion into the sky. You will feel the air rushing softly around you. You will fly in a comfortable padded seat paragliding harness that will immediately allow you to feel secure and supported above the incredible vista below. You will soar high above the valley with meandering rivers below, while cobalt blue glaciers glisten in the bowls of the majestic mountains that surround you. At times you will experience the "aha" moment, the feeling of omnipotence, like some sky god from Greek mythology, soaring above the tiny, mere mortals below.
You will be guided via radio to the landing field where the landing instructor will guide you down for a gentle landing. Afterwards, you will be debriefed on the accomplishment of your objectives for the flight.
We teach in a synergistic and progressive manner, where with each high mountin flight, we will transfer more responsibility to the pilot. The 4th flight will be a test of your new skills. You will be required to prepare and conduct a proper launch, execute the flight plan, perform precise maneuvers in flight, and land close to target using a standard aircraft approach. The landing instructor will be in standby mode to offer corrective input only if required. The objective is to have you conduct the landing on your own.
The iP1 Student Pilot paragliding program pilots must commit to two full weekends, with long training days from dawn to dusk. The second weekend is to allow for changing wind and weather and individual progression rates. In the event of un-flyable weather, we will complete mountain flights on the next flyable weekend.
This program will confirm whether or not you wish to become a fully certified iP2 Novice Pilot. Most people who have flown the first four high mountain flights can't wait to do the next sixteen!
iP1 Student Pilot - Paragliding - $897 (+$67 theory repeats, +$157 slope soaring repeats, +$297 additional days)*
* 20 hour course conducted over 3-4 weekend days. Includes: three theory sessions including a written exam; two slope soaring sessions; four dual instructor supervised flights including an in-flight exam. Pilots must reserve two full weekends from dawn to dusk to allow for changing weather conditions and individual progress rates. Pilots not attending scheduled days or leaving mid-day will be charged $297/day for additional days, as required, or forgo course components on missed days. Course modules require successful completion and a 80% minimum pass mark. Students will have to repeat failed modules at a surcharge of $67 for theory and/or $157 for slope soaring course modules. Includes use of all required equipment. We ask that you bring your own sturdy, agile footwear with ankle support (ex. hikers) and warm athletic clothing providing full body coverage. There is an i4X4 fee for rides up the mountains at $10-$20 per trip depending on the mountain. For pilots carpooling from iParaglide or other carpooling locations, there is a $80/day iRide fee which includes mountain transportation. Some landing sites require a $10/day fee payable by the student to the land owner. Full payment of the course and time commitment to specific dates must be received prior to commencement of training, with no refunds for partial course completion. We reserve the right to discontinue training any student not following directions or conducting themselves in a manner that may endanger themselves or others.
Discovery Solo Upgrade
Paragliding: + $360**
** We will credit $537 from the Discovery Solo against the iP1 Student Pilot course if you sign up and pay for the iP1 Student Pilot the same day after your Discovery Solo, you have passed with a minimum of 80% each course module, and continue with the paragliding flights within 6 days, while the knowledge is still fresh. In this case, you only have to pay an additional $360 to upgrade. Terms in * above apply.
Slope Soaring Upgrade
Paragliding: + $730***
*** We will credit $167 from the Slope Soaring against the iP1 Student Pilot course if you sign up and pay for the iP1 Student Pilot the same day after your Slope Soaring, you have passed with a minimum of 80% each course module, and continue with the paragliding flights immediately, while the knowledge is still fresh. In this case, you only have to pay an additional $730 to upgrade. Terms in * above apply.